This guide will help you get up and running with Standalone Backendless. By the end of the guide you will have a complete installation of the product and will be able to enjoy it at no cost so long that the entire installation runs on a single computer or a virtual machine.
- Download a Standalone Backendless installer and run the installation program.
- Select a directory where Standalone Backendless will be installed:
- On this screen you will set up a developer account for your Standalone Backendless installation. This information is not shared with anyone and will be used only to login to Backendless Console for your installation. The email address and password you enter will become your security credentials:
- Your Standalone Backendless installation will send emails in various use-cases such as user registration, password recovery, etc. You can configure email support, if you would like your Backendless apps to use your email identity. This step is optional and the information can be provided later after Standalone Backendless is installed.
- Enter a name for your first Backendless app/backend, it will be pre-created for you during the installation:
- This is an optional step and it may appear in the installation process if the default port numbers used by various modules of Backendless are taken. In this case, you will see a step in the installation which lets you specify an alternative port.
- Once Standalone Backendless is installed, the service and the management console will be accessible through the IP address associated with the computer or virtual machine where it is installed. On this screen you can verify the IP address:
- Once all the information is entered, the installation process is ready to install the product. Click Next > to complete the installation process:
- Once the installation process is complete, you can launch Standalone Backendless by clicking Finish.
- After clicking Finish, Backendless console will open in a web browser. The console is available at:
where [IP ADDRESS] is what was displayed/entered on step 7. Use the email and password from step 4 to login (or click Register to create a new developer account).
- The API endpoint for the Standalone Backendless installation is:
[IP ADDRESS] is what was displayed/entered on step 7. Your application must use a Backendless SDK and configure the endpoint URL in order to communicate with your installation rather than Backendless Cloud (which is what SDKs use by default). To configure the endpoint in your application code, use the following API:
com.backendless.Backendless.setUrl( "http://[IP ADDRESS]:8080/api" );i
backendless.hostURL = @"http://[IP ADDRESS]:8080/api";
Backendless.serverURL = "http://[IP ADDRESS]:8080/api";
BackendlessAPI.Backendless.URL = "http://[IP ADDRESS]:8080/api";
Backendless::setUrl( "http://[IP ADDRESS]:8080/api")
All other API calls with Standalone Backendless work exactly the same as with Backendless Cloud deployment.