The Backendless Platform is built to run anywhere. We have had that vision right from the very first release of the product. Many of you are familiar with Backendless which we host in the cloud, however, exactly the same technology stack is also available as an on-premises solution, which we call Backendless Pro. With the release of version 5 of the product earlier this year, we tasked ourselves to rebuild how Backendless Pro is being distributed. Previously, it was available through a downloadable installer which led to difficulties in configuring and scaling the software. We decided to base the architecture on Docker where each component of the Backendless technology stack would be running as a separate Docker container. There are multiple benefits of this approach:
- Backendless can be distributed through DockerHub where we publish images for each components.
- Using Docker Compose we can define and run Backendless as a multi-container application.
- It is significantly easier to instrument and scale separate containers.
- Customers can easier upgrade their installations.
I am happy to report that the new Backendless Pro version 5 is now available. You are welcome to give it a try and run your own installation of Backendless Pro – the unlimited version of our platform(30 day eval licenses are automatically generated). You can find the instructions for installing and running the product on the GItHub page for Backendless Pro.
The following features are automatically included into the latest distribution:
- Real-time database
- Real-time publish/subscribe messaging
- Codeless business logic
- Build and manage API services with Java, JS or Codeless
- Push Notifications to Android and IOS
- Code generation
- User management + APIs
- File management + APIs
- Geolocation APIs